skip to main |
skip to sidebar
the new (old) cookbook
Last night I was out picking up some groceries for this week's small group meal. Zack and I are hosting this week, and as per the custom, the host couple plans the meal and makes the main dish. All the other couples bring items that will go along with that main dish. For example, this week Zack and I are making 2 egg bakes, and the couples are bringing hash browns, breakfast sausage, orange juice, fruit salad, monkey bread, and baked french toast. MMmmm... it's going to be good!
Anyways, in the process of searching for a good egg bake recipe, I realized that my very fave cookbook was lacking in that area. Which got me to thinking.... I could use a new cookbook. After my grocery shopping last night, on a whim, I swung into the local Good Will. I browsed the aisles at random, picking up this and that... not looking for anything in particular. Until I eventually ended up at the book section. The first book my eyes wandered to was The New Good Housekeeping Cookbook, circa..... maybe 1950? I paged through the index, looked at the aged pages and the simple line drawn illustrations. Then, tucked in the middle of the book, I found a handwritten note with a menu jotted down. The handwriting was distinct, and I found myself more interested in the scrap of paper than the book itself. On it were written things like wassail, cheese olive bake, roast goose, yorkshire pudding, and creamed onions. A few pages later I found another piece of paper. This one was a church calendar from February 1965. Of course, I got the book. For $1.50.
The wealth of recipes is impressive, but it's the history that really intrigues me. I like old stuff.... stuff that has a story; stuff that is worn; stuff that has character. So... I am happy I wandered into Good Will last night, and pleased that I have a new (old) cookbook! It has a story, it's very worn, and it most definitely has character. Oh, and it has a great egg bake recipe!
No comments:
Post a Comment